We’ve answered some common questions about the Brick Train Awards below.
If you still have queries about the awards, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to timezone differences, it may take several days for us to respond, so please be patient.
Entering the awards
Each model must meet the following rules:
- You must have designed the model. You cannot submit designs by other builders.
- Models must have been built in the last 24 months (2 years).
- You can not enter a model which won an award in previous years.
- Models must be built with LEGO® bricks, either physically or in digital format (eg, using LDD, Bricklink’s Studio LDraw, or other software). Customised bricks and third party elements (e.g., custom track, rods, wheels, bearings, power systems) are permitted, but clone bricks are not permitted; please read the FAQs on this page
- Digital models are accepted in all awards except Best Group Display and Best Individual Display, where only photographs and videos of real layouts can be submitted
- Each entry must contain a maximum of 6 photographs, renders or images, and a maximum of 1 video
- Builders can enter more than one model in a category, up to a maximum of 3 models in a single category
- Builders can only enter a single model once in the awards. For example, you can only enter the same model in one category: you must not enter the same model in more than one category
- Builders must be aged 18 years or older at the time of entry. Those aged 13 years – 18 years may enter the TFOL (Teenage Fan of LEGO®) award categories with permission from a parent or guardian. By entering the awards, you agree that you have consent from your parents or guardians.
If builders fail to follow these rules, their entries may be disqualified from the awards.
How do I enter the awards?
When can I enter?
Entries for all categories are open 1st – 28th February 2021.
Can I enter the multiple models in the same category?
Yes – you can enter more than one model in the same category. We allow a maximum of 3 (three) submissions per category per builder.
Can I enter the same model in more than one category?
No – you cannot enter the same model in more than one category in the awards.
Can I enter more than one award category?
Yes, you can enter more than one award category so long as you submit a different model for each category you enter.
Are digital model designs accepted?
Yes, all award categories except the Group Display and Individual Display categories accept digital renders. We permit the use of colours for elements that are not made in production in digital models.
Can I enter someone else’s design?
No, only the original builder can enter models in to the awards. Models entered must be designed by you.
Can I enter using an alias or pseudonym?
Yes, for 2021 we accept entries with pseudonyms, so you do not have to use your real name to enter. If you win an award, we will need your real name to ship prizes.
Are modified LEGO® bricks permitted in models?
Yes, we permit LEGO® elements which have been cut or modified.
Can I enter a model built with non-LEGO® bricks?
Models must be built from LEGO® elements, although we accept the use of third party and after market systems such as:
- Trained Brick and other custom rod systems
- Big Ben Brick and other custom wheels
- Sbrick and other alternative power systems
- Custom lighting systems
- Third party track such as BrickTracks and TrixBrix
Clone brick brands are not permitted in models.
Can I enter a model which uses custom printed bricks or decals?
Yes, all entries allow the use of custom printed bricks or decals. Where there is a choice between brick-built and custom printing or decals, judges are instructed to issue more points for brick-built solutions.
Can I enter models using third party track?
Yes. Please see section above entitled “can I enter a model built with non-LEGO® bricks?”.
Do locomotive and wagons have to run on standard LEGO® tracks?
Yes, models in most locomotive and all wagon categories must run on standard LEGO® gauge tracks. This does not mean they have to run around a standard 40 stud radius corner or point / switches – we accept models which will only run on larger radius tracks (e.g., r56, r72, r88, r104, r120, grand curves, etc).
Any locomotive which does not run on standard LEGO® gauge tracks can be entered in the Best Other LEGO® Locomotive category.
Are there terms and conditions to enter the awards?
Yes, there are terms and conditions for entrants. Please read this page.
Do models have to be “new” or unpublished?
No, models you submit for the Brick Train Awards 2020 do not have to be new, and can be as old as you like.
Do locomotive and wagon models have to be based on real-life prototypes?
Guidance changed 9th June 2020.
No, models do not have to be based on real-life prototypes. You can submit locomotive and wagon models based on fantasy and fiction series, as well as imagination-based models.
Is this a for-profit event?
No, the Brick Train Awards are a non-profit event. Our sponsors cover the cost of the prizes and shipping them to winners, and the winner bricks.
I’d like to enter, but my region doesn’t have a judging panel. Can I take part?
We’re afraid you can’t enter if your region doesn’t have a judging panel. We hope to fill all regions for future years: please contact us if you would like to represent a region we do not yet cover via email@example.com.